And Baby Makes Four: Welcoming a Second Child

She’s here y’all. Baby Sis, as my daughter Simone affectionately called her when she was in the womb, arrived two days late on February 2.

The last few weeks as we waited for her to make her debut were filled with my longing for this pregnancy to be over. Big Sis was delivered three days before her due date and I was hoping for a similar scenario. I really didn’t want to go past my due date of January 31.

My OB gave me option of being induced. I made my initial inducement appointment for January 26. Then I moved it to January 29. I moved it back again to February 1. And the snow on Super Bowl Sunday moved the appointment to February 2.

Why all the scheduling and rescheduling? Big Sis’s delivery was quick and all natural. She arrived about two hours after we got to the hospital (about three hours after my water broke at home). I was hoping for a similar scenario. Also, I wanted my body to go into labor naturally. I was scared of the potential intensity of the pain and time an inducement takes and was trying to avoid an epidural.

So how did it go down with this second delivery? Half way through the day, I went into active labor. My contractions were about 30 minutes apart so I was able to push through the work day. By 5 p.m., they were about 10 minutes apart. At 6 p.m., they were 5 minutes apart. My induction appointment was at 7, so we headed to the hospital.

We arrived at the hospital, registered and they wheeled me to the maternity unit. I changed, the nurse hooked me up to the monitor to track the baby’s heart rate and my contractions and started an IV. Since I was in active labor and 3 centimeters dilated, my doctor called off the induction plan much to my delight. The nurse anesthetist came into my room to discuss pain control options. I knew in the back of my mind, it was unlikely his services would be utilized that night.

The rest of the evening was a bit of a blur. As my contractions became more intense and closer together, my water broke around 8:30 p.m. The nurse checked and I was 6 centimeters dilated. I told her it wouldn’t be much longer so she rushed to call my OB to tell her to come to the hospital.

A short while later, I felt the baby drop and I could barely keep from pushing. I had to wait for my OB, which felt like an eternity because the pain was so intense. She arrived just in time. After two or three pushes, the baby was out and on my chest. I snapped a few blurry photos with my cellphone. I was excited to meet Baby Sis and relieved the delivery was over at 9:29 p.m.

My hubby cut the umbilical cord and the nurses cleaned her up. We looked at her bright eyes checking out her surroundings and said “She’s a Kendall and not a Danielle,” the two first name finalists.

Kendall LeAnn entered this world as quickly as her Big Sis. It’s going to be interesting to watch these two girls grow up. Already we can tell Baby Sis is going to be laid back but she makes her presence known when needed. Big Sis is excited to have her home and is eager to help out however she can. I’m sure they are going to wear us out, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I love our girls.


Serena SmithSerena Smith is a senior marketing communications specialist at ProMedica. She is responsible for facilitating media coverage of ProMedica and writes health articles for ProMedica HealthConnect. Her passion is health and wellness. She’s an avid runner and enjoys competing in half marathons. She loves to read, watch television and spend time with her husband and daughter.

Click here to read more posts from Serena’s weekly series, Working Mommyhood.