Serving Size: 1 muffin
Yield: 12 muffins
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
The slight acidity of buttermilk tenderizes and moistens baked goods while allowing you to cut way back on butter or oils. Here, it also lends a slight tanginess to the winning combination of bananas and blueberries.
- ¾ cup nonfat or low-fat buttermilk
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1¼ cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1¼ cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 (1/2-cup) muffin cups with cooking spray or line with paper liners.
- Whisk buttermilk, brown sugar, oil and eggs in a large bowl. Stir in mashed bananas.
- Whisk whole-wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg in a medium bowl.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in blueberries. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups (they will be full).
- Bake until the tops are golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove and let cool on a wire rack for at least 5 minutes more before serving.
Make Ahead Tips:
- Wrap and store at room temperature for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month. To defrost and heat frozen muffins, remove plastic wrap, wrap in a paper towel and microwave on High for 30-45 seconds.
- Muffin tin with 12 (1/2-cup) cups.
- Whole-wheat pastry flour is milled from soft wheat. It contains less gluten than regular whole-wheat flour and helps ensure a tender result in delicate baked goods while providing the nutritional benefits of whole grains. Store in an airtight container in the freezer.
232 Calories, Total Fat: 6 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 31 mg, Carbohydrates: 41 g, Fiber: 3 g, Total Sugars: 19 g, Added Sugars: 13 g, Protein: 4 g, Sodium: 248 mg, Potassium: 163 mg, Folate: 41 mcg, Calcium: 37 mg
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.