Yields: 4 patties
Serving Size: 1 patty
- 1 (16 oz.) can black beans
- 1/4 green bell pepper
- 1/4 red bell pepper
- 1/2 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Drain and rinse black beans.
- If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F, and lightly oil a baking sheet.
- In a bowl, mash black beans using a fork, but leave a few whole bean pieces.
- Dice pepper, onion, and garlic into small pieces, then add to bean mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix together egg, chili powder and cumin.
- Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Add in bread crumbs until the mixture holds together.
- Divide and form into four patties.
- If baking, place on a greased baking sheet, and bake for 10 minutes on each side.
- If using a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Cook patties for about 5 minutes on each side until browned or until cooked through to 165 degrees F.
Recipe adapted from Laurenmu’s recipe on AllRecipes.com.