Serving Size: 1 slice
Yield: 12 servings
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours (including cooling & chilling time)
For this tart a few tablespoons of maple syrup sweeten the blueberry topping and round out the flavor of the cream filling.
- ½ cup walnuts, lightly toasted
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs, preferably whole-wheat
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon peanut or canola oil
- Pinch of salt
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel), softened
- ¼ cup reduced-fat sour cream
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, preferably grade B, divided
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- To prepare crust: Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Coarsely chop walnuts in a food processor. Add graham cracker crumbs and process until the mixture looks like fine crumbs.
- Whisk egg white in a medium bowl until frothy. Add the crumb mixture, butter, oil and salt; toss to combine. Press the mixture into the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of a 9-inch removable-bottom tart pan. Set the pan on a baking sheet. Bake until dry and slightly darker around the edges, about 8 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- To prepare filling: Beat cream cheese, sour cream and 1/4 cup maple syrup in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on low speed until smooth. When the crust is cool, spread the filling evenly into it, being careful not to break up the delicate crust. Arrange blueberries on the filling, pressing lightly so they set in. Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons maple syrup over the berries. Chill for at least 1 hour to firm up.
Make Ahead Tips:
- Refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- 9-inch removable-bottom tart pan
- To make crumbs, pulse graham crackers in a food processor or place in a large sealable plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin. (You’ll need about 14 whole-wheat graham cracker squares to make 1 cup of crumbs.)
- For the best flavor, toast nuts and seeds before using in a recipe. To toast seeds, sliced or chopped nuts, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes. To toast whole nuts, spread in a single layer in a small baking pan and bake in a 350°F oven until golden and fragrant, 5 to 7 minutes, stirring the nuts or shaking the pan once. Transfer to a small bowl or plate to cool. (When toasting hazelnuts, rub the nuts with a clean kitchen towel as soon as they come out of the oven to remove as much of the papery skin as possible.)
176 Calories, Total Fat: 11 g, Saturated Fat: 4 g, Cholesterol: 18 mg, Carbohydrates: 17 g, Fiber: 1 g, Total Sugars: 11 g, Added Sugars: 8 g, Protein: 4 g, Sodium: 117 mg, Potassium: 111 mg, Folate: 13 mcg, Calcium: 46 mg
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.