Serving Size: 2 tostadas
Yield: 4 servings, 2 tostadas each
Active Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Shredded leftover turkey tops homemade tostadas in this Tex-Mex favorite. Making your own tostada shells from fresh corn tortillas is easier than you might think—crisp them up in the oven while you prepare the toppings. Choose either regular petite diced tomatoes or those with added jalapeños, depending on your inclination for spicy food. Serve with black beans, rice and extra salsa or hot sauce on the side.
- 1 14-ounce can petite diced tomatoes, preferably with jalapeños
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cups shredded cooked turkey or chicken (12 ounces)
- 8 corn tortillas
- Canola or olive oil cooking spray
- 1 avocado, pitted
- ¼ cup prepared salsa
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- ½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven; preheat to 375°F.
- Bring tomatoes and their juice to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and most of the liquid has evaporated, 15 to 20 minutes. Add turkey (or chicken) and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, coat tortillas on both sides with cooking spray. Divide the tortillas between 2 large baking sheets. Bake, turning once, until crisped and lightly brown, about 10 minutes.
- Mash avocado in a bowl. Stir in salsa, sour cream and cilantro until combined.
- To assemble tostadas, spread each crisped tortilla with some of the avocado mixture. Top with the turkey (or chicken) mixture, lettuce and cheese.
- To poach chicken breasts, place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan and add lightly salted water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 15 minutes. (1 pound raw boneless, skinless chicken breasts = about 2 1/2 cups chopped or shredded cooked chicken)
405 Calories, Total Fat: 16 g, Saturated Fat: 5 g, Cholesterol: 86 mg, Carbohydrates: 34 g, Fiber: 8 g, Added Sugars: 0 g, Protein: 34 g, Sodium: 660 mg, Potassium: 722 mg, Folate: 74 mcg, Calcium: 183 mg
Carbohydrate Servings: 2