A delicious soup doesn’t have to be complicated to make. This recipe from Tara Farley, RDN, CSOWM, CDE, uses items you likely already have in your pantry or freezer.
- 6 ounces cooked chicken breast, chopped or low-sodium canned chicken, shredded
- 32 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 16-ounce bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can low-sodium cannellini, great northern or navy beans
- ¼ cup barley, farro or brown rice, dry
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Saute onion for 5-6 minutes. Add all other ingredients and bring to boil. Reduce heat and let simmer, covered, for 45 minutes. Makes 4 servings.
Consider serving with fresh bread and finish the meal with warmed canned pears drizzled with maple syrup and sprinkled with cinnamon.