Dining out can be tricky when you’re trying to eat healthy. But that doesn’t mean you have to stay home. Go ahead and make that reservation – with these tips you can stick to your plan to eat healthy wherever you go.
Before You Eat
- Check out the restaurant’s menu ahead of time if it’s posted on the Internet. Choose a healthy meal option before you arrive hungry.
- Ask to be the first at your table to order so that you aren’t tempted to change your meal choice based on others’ decisions.
- Stay hydrated with water, no- or low-fat milk, unsweetened tea, or other drinks without added sugars.
- Start your meal with a salad packed with vegetables to help control your hunger and feel satisfied sooner.
- Ask for salad dressing and other sauces to be served on the side so that you can use only the amount you want.
- Choose a broth-based soup over a cream-based soup for fewer calories.
- Choose main dishes that include vegetables, such as stir fry, kebobs or pasta with tomato sauce.
- Order steamed, grilled or boiled dishes instead of those that are fried or sautéed.
- Order foods that do not have creamy sauces or gravies. Add little to no butter and salt to your food.
- Choose foods that are not processed or are minimally-processed.
- Ask for whole-wheat bread for sandwiches.
- Choose small- or medium-sized portions of main dishes and side dishes.
- Avoid “all-you-can-eat” buffets.
- Listen to your body and its hunger signals. When you’ve eaten enough, pack leftovers to take home rather than cleaning your plate.
- Pass on traditional dessert and opt for a side dish of fruit instead.