Serving Size: Serving Size not available for this recipe
Yield: 12 servings
Active Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 6 1/4 hours (includes 5 hours chilling)
A dozen for brunch? No problem with our delicious makeover of a classic egg casserole. Assemble the casserole the evening before you plan to serve it.
- 5 ounces turkey breakfast sausage (4 small links), casings removed
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 2½ cups low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ⅔ cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 10 slices white bread, crusts removed
- Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook sausage in a skillet over medium heat, crumbling with a fork, until browned. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add oil, onion and bell pepper to skillet; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Add sausage and cook, stirring, until vegetables begin to brown, about 5 minutes more. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Whisk eggs and egg whites in a large bowl until blended. Whisk in milk, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir in 1/3 cup Cheddar.
- Arrange bread in a single layer in prepared baking dish. Pour egg mixture over bread and top with reserved vegetables and sausage. Sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup Cheddar. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 5 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake casserole, uncovered, until set and puffed, 40 to 50 minutes. Serve hot.
Make Ahead Tips:
- Prepare through Step 5; cover and refrigerate overnight.
142 Calories, Total Fat: 7 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Cholesterol: 99 mg, Carbohydrates: 10 g, Fiber: 1 g, Protein: 10 g, Sodium: 344 mg, Potassium: 114 mg, Folate: 30 mcg, Calcium: 141 mg
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.