Serving Size: 1 huevos rancheros
Yield: 4 huevos rancheros
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Huevos rancheros or “ranch eggs” is a classic Mexican dish that is great for a quick dinner. Traditionally, it’s made with a red tomato-based sauce. Here we use tart and tangy green salsa instead. Serve with: brown rice and slices of avocado.
- 1½ cups very thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed
- ½ cup prepared green salsa
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- Canola oil cooking spray
- ¾ cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 4 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine lettuce, scallion, cilantro, 1 teaspoon oil, lime juice, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a bowl; set aside. Combine beans and salsa in another bowl.
- Coat both sides of each tortilla with cooking spray. Place tortillas on a large baking sheet in 4 sets of overlapping pairs. (Each pair should overlap by about 3 inches.) Spread about 1/3 cup of the bean mixture on top of each pair of tortillas and sprinkle with 3 tablespoons cheese each. Bake until the beans are hot and the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Crack each egg into a small bowl and slip them one at a time into the pan, taking care not to break the yolks. Season the eggs with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook undisturbed for 5 to 7 minutes for soft-set yolks. (For hard-set yolks, cover the pan after 5 minutes and continue cooking until the yolks are cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes more.)
- To assemble, place an egg on top of each pair of tortillas and top with a generous 1/4 cup of the lettuce mixture.
405 Calories, Total Fat: 18 g, Saturated Fat: 6 g, Cholesterol: 209 mg, Carbohydrates: 42 g, Fiber: 8 g, Total Sugars: 2 g, Added Sugars: 0 g, Protein: 20 g, Sodium: 672 mg, Potassium: 475 mg, Folate: 116 mcg, Calcium: 272 mg
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.