Need a quick, delicious way to get vitamins and minerals? This smoothie bowl recipe from Sodexo brings together the nutritional powers of quinoa, mango, and pineapple, and sweetens it up with a touch of almond milk and coconut flakes.
“Quinoa is a great nutrient-packed food to incorporate in your diet and is considered a grain,” explained ProMedica dietitian Liz Satterthwaite. “It also contains a healthy dose of fatty acids. About 25% of quinoa is fatty acids, which make it heart healthy.”
The fruit in the smoothie offer nutritional benefits, too. “Mango and pineapple are a great source of fiber, vitamin C, vitamin A and manganese,” said Satterthwaite.
Senior Executive Chef Hannah Robertson agreed it’s a beautiful and nutritious start to your morning. “I love this smoothie bowl; it’s so clever,” she said. “Adding the quinoa to a smoothie provides protein, amino acids and is an excellent source of fiber and iron, not to mention it helps with sustained energy throughout your day and is a good gluten free option.”
Watch Chef Robertson make this recipe in the video above. Then try making it yourself with the recipe below!
- 1/4 cup cold, cooked quinoa, prepared as directed
- 1/3 cup frozen banana
- 1/3 cup frozen mango
- 1/3 cup frozen pineapple
- 5/8 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons granola
- 1/3 cup fresh mango chunks
- 1/3 cup fresh pineapple, diced
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut flakes
- Place quinoa, frozen banana, frozen mango, frozen pineapple and almond milk into blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour blended smoothie into a serving bowl. Top evenly with fresh mango, fresh pineapple, granola and coconut flakes.
- Serve while cold and enjoy!