This entrée offers plenty of flavor without spice so that everyone can add condiments to their individual taste. Spice it up with some salsa, or enjoy as is. The beans offer a boost of protein while the brown rice adds fiber.
- 4 large, square red, yellow, or green bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 2 dried red chilies
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 1 15.5-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup water
- Wash peppers and cut off tops 1/4- to 1/2-inch down. Remove seeds; set tops aside. Put peppers in a baking dish.
- Heat oil in a skillet. Sauté garlic and onion with dried red chilies until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, beans, and brown rice. Mix thoroughly.
- Spoon mixture into prepared peppers and put tops back on. Add 1/2 cup water to pan. Cover and bake at 375°F until peppers are soft, about 45 minutes to an hour.
Find more healthy recipes in our Recipe section.