Traditionally topped with cheese curds and brown gravy, poutine is usually a heavy dish. This Sodexo recipe is a nod to the classic but is both mindful and vegan, using a flavorful vegan demi glace, a faux “cheese” sauce made of carrots and potatoes, and roasted potato wedge fries. So you can enjoy a flavorful dish without feeling heavy when you’re done.
“I love this plant forward dish; it’s a clever take on a popular Canadian tradition,” said Senior Executive Chef Hannah Robertson, who makes the dish in the video above. “If you don’t want to make the demi glace from scratch, you can buy it online.”
This mindful version includes carrots and portobello mushrooms for some added nutrition, too.
“Portobello mushrooms are a good source of vitamin D, which aids in calcium and phosphorous absorption. These micronutrients play a factor in supporting bone growth,” said ProMedica Wellness dietitian Liz Satterthwaite.
If you wanted to add in more protein, you could toss in some beans, too.
“By including beans, you can also indirectly add more fiber,” said Satterthwaite. “Some ideas that can make for a great addition to this meal are pinto beans, kidney beans or black beans.”
Watch Chef Robertson make this recipe in the video above. Then try making it yourself with the recipe below!
Roasted Greek Fries
- 1 3/4 pound potatoes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 5/8 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 2 5/8 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
- Wash potatoes and dry. Cut each potato into 8 wedges.
- Blanch wedges in a steamer for 5-8 minutes or until almost tender and cooked ¾ of the way.
- Lightly toss potatoes with vegetable oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic and oregano
- Coat sheet pans with vegetable oil spray. Spread potatoes on sheet pans in a single layer. Do not overcrowd. Bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for 10-15 minutes or until light golden brown.
Vegan “Cheese” Sauce
- 1 7/8 ounces potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 ounce carrots, peeled and sliced
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoon water
- 2 7/8 teaspoons canola oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Boil potato and carrot chunks in water for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
Vegan Demi Glace
- 1 ½ teaspoon canola oil
- 1 oz yellow onions
- 8 oz water
- 1 oz demi glace base, gluten free
- Salt and pepper to taste
OR use 1/2 cup store bought vegan demi glace
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat until hot.
- Add onions and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 10-20 minutes or until caramelized.
- Add water and demi glace base. Increase heat to medium-low. Stir constantly with a whisk until sauce thickens.
- 1/4 cup Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- Spray mushroom caps with vegetable oil spray. Place side down on hot grill to mark. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Turn 90 degrees and cook for another 3 minutes to mark caps with crosshatch grill marks.
- Flip mushroom cap, side up. Cook for another 5-10 minutes or until moisture has leached out and mushroom is softened and cooked through. Slice into 1-inch strips.
Now put it all together!
- Place roasted Greek fries in the center of a serving plate.
- Ladle 2 oz demi glace over potatoes.
- Evenly top with a few mushrooms, 1 oz “cheese” sauce, seeded and diced tomatoes and thinly sliced green onions