Serving Size: 1 generous cup
Yield: 2 servings, 1 generous cup each
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Perk up your morning oatmeal with the addition of tangy rhubarb. Using milk for this oatmeal gives it a calcium boost, but the recipe also works well with water—and you’ll save about 60 calories.
- 1½ cups nonfat milk or nondairy milk, such as soymilk or almond milk
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup 1/2-inch pieces rhubarb, fresh or frozen
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 2–3 tablespoons brown sugar, pure maple syrup or agave syrup
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans or other nuts, toasted if desired
- Combine milk, juice, oats, rhubarb, cinnamon and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, cover and cook at a very gentle bubble, stirring frequently, until the oats and rhubarb are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in sweetener to taste. Top with nuts.
- People with celiac disease or gluten-sensitivity should use oats that are labeled “gluten-free,” as oats are often cross-contaminated with wheat and barley.
- For the best flavor, toast nuts and seeds before using in a recipe. To toast seeds, sliced or chopped nuts, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes. To toast whole nuts, spread in a single layer in a small baking pan and bake in a 350°F oven until golden and fragrant, 5 to 7 minutes, stirring the nuts or shaking the pan once. Transfer to a small bowl or plate to cool. (When toasting hazelnuts, rub the nuts with a clean kitchen towel as soon as they come out of the oven to remove as much of the papery skin as possible.)
336 Calories, Total Fat: 8 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 4 mg, Carbohydrates: 56 g, Fiber: 6 g, Total Sugars: 25 g, Added Sugars: 9 g, Protein: 13 g, Sodium: 153 mg, Potassium: 772 mg, Folate: 53 mcg, Calcium: 302 mg
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.