Serving Size: Serving Size not available for this recipe
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
This recipe was inspired by the popular Chilean sandwich, called a churrasco, that features a thin sandwich steak, mashed avocado and a type of salsa called Pebre. We have substituted tender strip steak for sandwich steaks to make a satisfying steak dinner. Searing a steak on the stovetop and then finishing it in a moderate oven allows for good browning, and the gentle heat helps ensure a tender result.
- ½ cup finely chopped sweet onion, such as Vidalia or Walla Walla
- 1 medium-large tomato, seeded and diced
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeño or serrano pepper
- 2 tablespoons red-wine or cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 8- to 10-ounce New York strip (top loin) steaks, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 avocados, pitted and peeled
- To prepare Pebre Sauce: Place onion in a medium bowl, cover with ice water and let soak for 10 to 20 minutes. Drain. Combine the onion, tomato, cilantro, jalapeño (or serrano), vinegar, garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- To prepare steak: Mix paprika, cumin, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper in a small bowl. Rub the spice mixture evenly over both sides of steaks.
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet, such as cast iron, over medium-high. Add the steaks and cook just until browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer the pan to the oven and roast the steaks 5 to 7 minutes for medium-rare, depending on thickness. Transfer to a clean cutting board. Tent with foil and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash avocados with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl.
- Carve the steak into thin slices. Serve with the avocado and Pebre Sauce.
Make Ahead Tips:
- The Pebre Sauce will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
390 Calories, Total Fat: 27 g, Saturated Fat: 6 g, Cholesterol: 70 mg, Carbohydrates: 13 g, Fiber: 8 g, Added Sugars: 0 g, Protein: 26 g, Sodium: 355 mg, Potassium: 620 mg, Folate: 93 mcg, Calcium: 32 mg
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.