This Mexican casserole is sure to be a new family favorite. Packed with veggies, protein, herbs, and spices, it’s a healthy spin on a traditional comfort food.
- Cooking oil spray
- 1 small onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 4 oz. shitake or portabella mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper (about ½ medium pepper)
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, no salt added, rinsed
- 1/2 lb. cooked chicken breasts, shredded
- 32 oz. tomato sauce, no salt added (4 8-oz. cans)
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese (1 percent)
- 4 tbsp. minced cilantro, divided
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 16 small corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup three-cheese Mexican cheese blend or shredded Oaxaca cheese
- Extra cilantro, minced, for garnish
- Heat a large nonstick or cast-iron pan over high heat for one minute. Spray with oil, heat for 30 more seconds, then add onions. Sauté until starting to get translucent, about two to three minutes, then add mushrooms and sauté for another two to three minutes.
- Stir in red pepper, corn, and black beans; sauté for another minute. Then stir in cooked chicken and remove from heat.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together tomato sauce, honey, cumin, onion powder, chili powder, cinnamon, oregano, garlic powder, black pepper, and sea salt.
- Place 3/4 cup of the sauce in a blender with cottage cheese and 3 tablespoons cilantro; puree until smooth. Spread 1/2 cup sauce on bottom of slow cooker.
- In each tortilla, place about 1/4 cup chicken vegetable mixture and about 1 tablespoon. of cottage cheese-sauce mixture. Layer eight enchiladas on the bottom of the slow cooker, pour about half of the remaining sauce on top, then layer the remaining eight enchiladas on top.
- Pour the rest of the sauce on top. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and remaining 1 tablespoon cilantro. Cook on low for six to eight hours. Garnish with cilantro if desired.
Serves eight; a serving size is two enchiladas or about 1½ cups (the tortillas fall apart in the casserole). Each serving provides: 347 calories, 4 g total fat (2 g sat fat, 0 g trans fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 352 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrates, 10 g fiber, 12 g sugar, 21 g protein.