This hearty and healthy breakfast bowl is a delicious way to start your day. The Sodexo recipe brings together warm roasted potatoes, a flavorful black bean burger, baked egg whites and colorful fresh pico de gallo.
“This dish has so many great, bold flavors; it’s a completely satisfying start to your day,” said Senior Executive Chef Hannah Robertson, who is seen preparing the dish in the video above.
Plus, you don’t have to feel the least bit guilty about morning potatoes.
“Potatoes are a vegetable,” said ProMedica dietitian Liz Satterthwaite. “They provide many benefits and are not the cause of weight gain. They are a great source of energy, are easy to digest and contain vitamin C, A, iron and phosphorus!”
Satterthwaite said potatoes are even better when cooked in healthy fats and paired with protein and veggies. So topping this dish with an egg white and fresh pico de gallo is the way to go!
There are a few steps to this recipe, but no worries! It’s not difficult to make. You can use store bought pico de gallo or even salsa if you’re in a pinch. Watch Chef Robertson make this recipe in the video above, then try making it yourself with the recipe below!
- 4 egg whites, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Spray two small ramekins with cooking spray.
- Place 2 egg whites into each small ramekin and sprinkle each with pepper.
- Place pan in a preheated 350° oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove each egg with a rubber spatula.
- 1/2 cup potatoes, cubed
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Boil cubed potatoes until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a saute pan. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add potatoes, chili powder, cumin, pepper, and salt. Toss evenly to coat. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Spray sheet pan with cooking spray and place potatoes on pan in a single layer. Roast in preheated 400° oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender and golden, turning halfway through.
Black Bean Burger Crumble
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup green pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup black bean burger, cooked as directed, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a saute pan. Add diced green peppers and saute until slightly tender.
- Add chopped black bean burger, cooked as directed. Saute 5 to 7 minutes.
Pico de Gallo
- 3/4 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup green peppers, diced
- 2 tablespoons jalapenos, diced
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons lime juice
- Combine tomatoes, onions, green peppers, jalapenos and cilantro in a bowl. (Be sure to wear gloves when handling the jalapenos). Season with salt and pepper. Toss evenly in lime juice.
Now put it all together!
Combine roasted potatoes and black bean burger crumble in serving dish. Top with the baked egg white and sprinkle with fresh pico de gallo. Garnish with a sliced radish (optional). Serves 2.