Salads are a great way to get some fresh veggies into your diet, but sometimes they can get a little boring. This recipe from Sodexo combines sweet strawberries and savory chicken, and adds crunch with pistachios and pita chip triangles. Don’t like pistachios? Walnuts, almonds and pumpkin seeds also offer healthy fat and a bit of crunch.
According to ProMedica Wellness dietitian Liz Satterthwaite, this dish is a great “go-to” for protein.
“Protein becomes more important the more active you are and as you age,” explained Satterthwaite. “Some great vegetarian protein alternatives include cubed tofu, edamame and most legumes with quinoa.”
Senior Executive Chef Hannah Robertson added, “This is a really pretty salad. If you happen to have basil on hand, try adding in a few torn leaves. It complements the sweet and savory combination of the salad very well.”
Watch Chef Robertson make this recipe in the video above. Then try making it yourself with the recipe below!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 cup Bibb lettuce, torn
- 2/3 cup chicken breast, sliced
- 1/3 cup strawberries, quartered
- 1/4 cup cucumbers, sliced
- 2 tablespoons shelled pistachios
- Pita chips
- To make dressing, combine olive oil, white wine vinegar and honey in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Tear lettuce and place in medium sized bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat.
- Place lettuce on serving dish and top with sliced chicken, strawberries, cucumbers, and pistachios.
- Serve with pita chip triangles.