Get a jump start on the cool weather season with this hearty soup that’s easy to make with just one pot. It’s also a great way to use up leftover rice or another healthy grain.
- 1/2 pound ground round
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups sliced onion
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 28-ounce can petite diced tomatoes, low sodium
- 14-ounce can low-sodium beef broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 3 cups cooked brown rice or other grain, such as barley or millet
- Brown meat in soup pot. Drain fat if necessary. Add olive oil, then onions and garlic and sauté briefly. Add shredded cabbage and continue stirring. Add tomatoes, beef broth, and water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and let cook for about 10 minutes on simmer. Sprinkle in parsley.
- To serve, put half a cup of cooked brown rice or other grain of your choice (barley, millet, quinoa) into a large bowl. Ladle stuffed cabbage soup over grain. Serve.
Nutrition Info: Makes 6 servings. Per serving: 232 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat, no trans fat, 22mg cholesterol), 369mg sodium, 34g carbohydrates, 4g dietary fiber, 7g sugars, 12g protein