Serving Size: Serving Size not available for this recipe
Yield: 4 servings (1 cup filling & 2 cups salad each)
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
A super-quick blend of reduced-fat sour cream and salsa serves double duty as salad dressing and seasoning for the meat in our updated version of Tex-Mex taco salad. Depending on the type of salsa you use, the salad will vary in heat. We keep this version light with lean turkey, but lean ground beef (about 95%-lean) would also keep the nutrition marks reasonable. Just hold the deep-fried tortilla bowl and instead serve this salad with baked tortilla chips and wedges of fresh lime.
- ½ cup prepared salsa
- ¼ cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 2 large plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 14-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 8 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- ½ cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Combine salsa and sour cream in a large bowl.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add turkey and cook, stirring often and crumbling with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, beans, cumin and chili powder; cook, stirring, until the tomatoes begin to break down, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in cilantro and 1/4 cup of the salsa mixture.
- Add lettuce to the remaining salsa mixture in the bowl; toss to coat. To serve, divide the lettuce among 4 plates, top with the turkey mixture and sprinkle with cheese.
447 Calories, Total Fat: 19 g, Saturated Fat: 8 g, Cholesterol: 108 mg, Carbohydrates: 27 g, Fiber: 10 g, Total Sugars: 4 g, Protein: 42 g, Sodium: 629 mg, Potassium: 1126 mg, Folate: 197 mcg, Calcium: 217 mg
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.