Serving Size: 1 1/3 cups
Yield: 6 servings, about 1 1/3 cups each
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Here’s a version of chicken tortilla soup that’s both super-easy and delicious. To make it even quicker, use crumbled baked tortilla chips in place of the homemade tortilla strips and skip Steps 1-2. Serve with vinegary coleslaw, lime wedges and hot sauce.
- 8 corn tortillas, halved and thinly sliced
- Canola or olive oil cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 Anaheim or poblano peppers, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spread tortilla strips in an even layer on a baking sheet and coat with cooking spray. Bake until browned and crispy, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add peppers and onion and cook, stirring, until the onion begins to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Add cumin and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add chicken, broth, tomatoes and their juice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in lime juice. Serve each portion topped with some of the baked tortilla strips, Cheddar and cilantro.
- To quickly trim boneless, skinless chicken thighs, use kitchen shears to snip the fat away from the meat.
275 Calories, Total Fat: 12 g, Saturated Fat: 4 g, Cholesterol: 52 mg, Carbohydrates: 24 g, Fiber: 5 g, Added Sugars: 0 g, Protein: 19 g, Sodium: 759 mg, Potassium: 532 mg, Folate: 22 mcg, Calcium: 112 mg
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.